Manhattan Spirit of the Holidays Lighted Parade
This year’s parade will be held on Friday, December 3rd, 2021 at 5:30 p.m.
- Parade Route: 3rd Street & Poyntz Avenue — 11th Street — Moro Street — City Park
- Parade Day Timeline:
- 3:00 PM ······ Staging: We will be lining up in the parking lot west of Dillard’s again. You will be emailed before the parade with an assigned line-up time based on your position in the parade.
- 5:30 PM ······ Parade Begins Downtown
- Parade Ends in City Park. All entries must continue through Aggieville to City Park. Lighting of the Mayor’s Holiday Tree will commence in person immediately following the end of the parade at Triangle Park.
The following streets will be closed beginning at 2:00 PM:
- 3rd and Leavenworth
- 3rd and Humboldt
- 4th and Humboldt
There will be NO PARKING beginning at 2:00 PM:
- On Humboldt between 3rd and 4th Streets – this is a tow zone
- In the west Dillard’s lot – this is a tow zone
Just prior to the start of the parade the following roads will be blocked to thru traffic:
- N. 3rd Street and Poyntz
- S. 3rd Street just north of the AJ’s parking lot
- N. 4th Street at the alley
- S. 4th street at the alley
- S. 5th Street at the alley
- 6th Street at the alleys
- Juliette at the alleys
Parking will remain open on Poyntz Ave and no cars will be towed on Poyntz. HOWEVER, if you are parked on Poyntz at the start of the parade, you will have to remain in place until the parade passes.
GENERAL PARADE GUIDELINES:
- ALL ENTRIES MUST HAVE LIGHTS (this includes walking groups)
- Costumes are strongly encouraged for all participants. All participants should dress in warm clothes.
- No entry may feature Santa. Santa makes a special appearance at the end of the parade.
- Distribution of candy and trinkets is encouraged. For safety, please hand out near sidewalks, do not throw!
- Once the parade gets moving do not allow for gaps.
- All entries are subject to approval by the parade committee.
- The group contact person must have signed this application and all entrants must be familiar with these guidelines.
- All awards will be determined by a panel. This year’s awards include:
- Mayor’s Trophy/Best in Show: The winner must show originality and have a significant light display.
- Best Use of Lights: For the entry that uses lights in the most creative way to enhance their entry.
- Spirit of the Breadbasket: This award is given to the entry that best represents the idea of sharing food with those in need and uses the most food as part of their entry to best advantage.
- Best Youth Float: For the best entry by a group composed mainly of children.
- Best Walking Group: For the best individual or group traveling the parade route on foot.
- Best Bicycle Entry: Best individual or group on bicycles.
For a PDF version of the parade application please click on the link below and e-mail or mail into Downtown Manahttan, Inc. no later than November 15th, 2021.
Questions? Call 785.537.9683 or email firstname.lastname@example.org